Stevens Chapel

category : Historic Churches
Begun in 1892, by J.R. Stevens at the inspiration of his wife, "Aunt" Jennie Stevens that the chapel came into existence. Uncle Dick Stevens sold a barrel of Sorghum Molasses, then with the proceeds bought food for the settler workers who donated their labor. Thus a chapel was erected by donated labor and on five acres of land given by J.R. Stevens and with financial help from friends in Illinois. The first service to be held in the chapel was the funeral of Uncle Dick when only the walls were up and the roof on.

Address: Southwest of Atwood just off Highway 25.

Come visit us in Atwood, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Rawlins County Courthouse

The Rawlins County Courthouse was built in 1906 and exemplifies Greco-roman architecture.

Atwood, KS Historic Courthouses

Outdoor Mural

This outdoor artwork is painted on the west side of the building at 4th and State Street, by H-D Productions, 1997.

Atwood, KS Arts

Ol' Depot

The renovated Atwood Depot is now a gift and collectibles store that sits at the edge of Lake Atwood.

Atwood, KS Railroad History

Sts. Cyril & Methodius Catholic Church

This wonderful structure was built in 1906 by Bohemian immigrants from Czechoslovakia. Originally located nine miles north and three miles west of Atwood, the church formerly known as Sts. Cyril and Methodius Catholic Church was moved to the museum complex in 1994 by the citizens of Atwood.

Atwood, KS Historic Churches

Buffalo Statue

The Buffalo Statue is located in front of the courthouse and was presented to the city by local sculptor, Pete Felton, renowned Kansas artist.

Atwood, KS Arts

Things to do Historic Churches near Atwood, KS