LASR.net Homepage




Menu

The Vestey Center


category : Historic Hotels
The Vestey Center The Vestey Center was built in 1929 in the art deco style. The hotel was originally named "The Nebraskan" (a joining of the names Nebraska and Kansas) stressing the close relationship between Superior and its Kansas neighbors. It was built by the Turner Hotel Company of Mankato, Kansas, on land donated by the citizens of Superior. The lobby has been restored back to its original elegance, with marble pillars, a majestic staircase, and a glowing fireplace. The Lady Vestey dining room has retained its name ever since a former owner, Eugene Gray, named it after our prominent citizen many years ago.

In 1996, a total renovation was completed at a cost of 1.5 million dollars. This award-winning project now has 14 affordable apartments, a community center, houses the "Nuckolls County Senior Service", and provides a noon lunch program. Visitors over 60 years of age are welcome at the meals as long as they sign up in advance. Younger persons may attend with a senior relative.

The former Coffee Shop is used for morning coffees, open to all, and three afternoons a week find senior citizens playing cards there. Other entertainment and festivals dinners are planned throughout the year.


Address: Fifth and Central
Phone: 402-879-3490

Come visit us in Superior, Nebraska

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Lincoln Park - RV Camping

Spacious Lincoln Park has a shaded camping area with cement pads and free hookups for 20 campers, as well as a beautiful botanical garden. A dump station and modern restrooms are also provided, as well as a horseshoe pitching area, sand volleyball, tennis courts, picnic shelters and a children'

Superior, NE RV Parks

Methodist Church

The oldest church in Superior was built by the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1889-1892. Construction started in 1889, the basement was used for services in 1890, and the building was dedicated in 1892

Superior, NE Historic Churches

Superior City Park

The City Park, on Highway 14 in the middle of town, was donated by the planner of East Superior, Austin Collette and William Loudon in 1880. The park contains a Chinese cannon which was brought from China by Lady Vestey. The park also has a memorial statue in tribute to our veterans.

Superior, NE Recreation

Log Cabin - Home - Post Office

Superior's original building, a log cabin, was built by William Louden and several of his friends in 1872. The building served as a home, post office and trading post. As acting postmaster, Louden (paid $1 per month for his efforts) established "daily service,"

Superior, NE Museums

One-room Schoolhouse

Now, nearly extinct as an educational institution, this one room school, built in 1884, stands proudly on the museum grounds - a monument to the importance the prairie pioneer placed on educating their young. Many a rural student was provided eight years of "readin','ritin', and 'rithmetic"

Superior, NE Historic Schoolhouses

Things to do Historic Hotels near Superior, NE