LASR.net Homepage




Menu

St. Mary's Chapel


category : Historic Churches
St. Mary's Chapel As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850's. The cornerstone was laid by the first chaplain at Fort Riley, Chaplin Clarkson, when it became the post chapel. During the War Between the States it was used as an arsenal, and later as a school. The chapel was extensively renovated in 1938 and rededicated as a Catholic Chapel.

The Main Post Chapel whose cornerstone was laid on July 4, 1897, was dedicated in January, 1898.Main Post Chapel



Admission: Free or Donation
Hours: By Appointment
Address: Bldg #5, Barry Avenue
Phone: 785-239-2743
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Statue of "Old Trooper Bill"

The Old Trooper has become a symbol at Fort Riley of the proud heritage of the Horse Cavalry. It is modeled after the drawing of "Old Bill," the cavalry soldier drawn by famous western artist, Frederic Remington. This sketch is displayed in the Cavalry Museum'

Fort Riley, KS Memorials

Wainwright Hall - Fort Riley

Wainwright Hall is named for General Jonathan Wainwright who served as the assistant commandant of the Cavalry School during the 1930s. The building was constructed in 1889

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Post Headquarters - Summerall Hall

Constructed in 1889, this building originally served as the post hospital until after World War II, when primary medical facilities were moved to Camp Whiteside. It is named after General Charles P. Summerall, who was an early commander of the 1

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Custer House - Fort Riley

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Things to do Historic Churches near Fort Riley, KS

St. John Lutheran Church

This beautiful native stone church was built in 1907. August Peters of Alma was contracted to construct the present native li...