LASR.net Homepage




Menu


Rogers County Courthouse


category : Historic Courthouses
Rogers County Courthouse The county dedicated its first Court House in 1937, 30 years after statehood. The decision was made to purchase the property and went to the vote of the people. The bond issue failed twice but finally carried on the third try. There have been several additions to the original building.

The first court house for the district was located at Kephart Springs, about six miles northeast of Claremore. Here four terms of court were held each year and difficulties arising between citizens were "threshed-out" in much the same manner as now.

The Cherokee Court House was a framed structure and was moved to Claremore about 1888 and served as a "temple of justice" until the Cherokee courts were abolished.


Address: Patti Page Blvd. and Missouri Street

Come visit us in Claremore, Oklahoma

Attractions and Upcoming Events

Lynn Riggs Memorial

The south wing of the Old Will Rogers Library is the Lynn Riggs Memorial. Rollie Lynn Riggs was born in 1899, 3 miles southwest of Claremore in Indian Territory. He became an internationally famous author and playwright of "Green Grow the Lilacs", from which the musical "Oklahoma!"

Claremore, OK Memorials

J. Bartley Milam Home

This private home was originally built by J. BARTLEY MILAM, Principal Chief of the Cherokees. The Cherokee government had been dismantled in 1907 when Oklahoma became a state. In 1941, Milam was appointed Chief for a year by Franklin D. Roosevelt and was reappointed until his death in 1949

Claremore, OK Historic Homes

Christ Presbyterian Church

The Christ Presbyterian Church was purchased from the First United Methodist Church in 1990. In 1882, a one-room frame building was constructed after $500 was given by the Methodist General Conference to erect a house of worship. The church was served by "Circuit Rider" preachers until 1907

Claremore, OK Historic Churches

Belvidere

This magnificent Victorian mansion, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, was started circa 1902

Claremore, OK Museums

Radium Town and the Keller Bath House

An area in the north section of Claremore was once known as RADIUM TOWN. George Eaton owned the first oil company in town. In 1903, he was drilling east of town for oil or gas. Instead, he found a "rotten-egg-smelling"

Claremore, OK Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Courthouses near Claremore, OK