LASR.net Homepage




Menu

Trolley Station


category : Historic Buildings
Trolley Station The Trolley Station was used as a baggage storage and waiting area for soldiers and families riding the inter-city trolley between Junction City and Fort Riley from 1901 until 1907. In 1907 the tracks ere moved closer to Waters Hall and the line extended out to approximately Riley Place on Huebner Road. In 1914, the line was joined with one coming from Manhattan.

During World War I, the Junction City-Manhattan Trolley did a booming business. After the war, the service declined and in 1934 the line ceased operation. Remnants of the trolley line road bed may be seen in this area near Waters Hall and along Huebner road. The Trolley Station was restored in 1989 and made to appear as it did in the early 1900s. Today, the Officer's Wives Club operates a craft and gift shop in the building.


Address: Sheridan Avenue
Our Website:www.riley.army.mil

Come visit us in Fort Riley, Kansas

Attractions and Upcoming Events

St. Mary's Chapel

As the first stone church in Kansas, the original building was constructed by the Episcopalians in the mid 1850'

Fort Riley, KS Historic Churches

Post Cemetery

Beyond the Ogden Monument is the Post Cemetery. In the area nearest the Ogden Monument are mass graves of persons who died in two cholera epidemics which struck the post in 1855 and 1867

Fort Riley, KS Cemeteries

Statue of "Old Trooper Bill"

The Old Trooper has become a symbol at Fort Riley of the proud heritage of the Horse Cavalry. It is modeled after the drawing of "Old Bill," the cavalry soldier drawn by famous western artist, Frederic Remington. This sketch is displayed in the Cavalry Museum'

Fort Riley, KS Memorials

Custer House - Fort Riley

Constructed in 1855 of native limestone, the Custer House is the only surviving set of quarters from the Fort'

Fort Riley, KS Museums

Territorial Capitol

In 1855, the nation wept for "Bleeding Kansas"

Fort Riley, KS Historic Buildings

Things to do Historic Buildings near Fort Riley, KS

Old Conoco Station

Originally there were three frame buildings at this location. The first one housed a cigar factory, the second a barber shop ...

Lindley M. Harris House

This house was built in 1898, and features an asymmetrical front facade, spindlework and multiple shingle styles in addition ...